Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Day One: How many Earths?

Discovering that it would take up 3.9 planets in order to have every person on earth live the same lifestyle I do is mind blowing. Prior to the test I thought I was doing alright, I walk almost everywhere, and only use a car when I visit my parents. I do my best to buy from the farmers market, and eat as little meat as possible, and I recycle. Obviously I'm going to have to start making more changes to my lifestyle.

My biggest splurge, according to the foot print calculator is in energy land. So for the next 10 weeks, I will be chronicling my efforts to use more green energy, products made from recycled materials, and more local food and goods.

I'm certain that the amount of travel I do also negatively affects my energy score, but I haven't currently found a more environmentally friendly solution that still allows me to go see my family and friends.

I also just took the KQED climate watch survey , and surprise surprise am concerned about global warming.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds to me like you are already modifying your behavior in some sustainable directions! You could buy renewable power, it adds about $10 to your monthly power bill................

    ReplyDelete