Monday, October 18, 2010

A new thought

My powerbill finally came today, so we are now signd up to PSE's green power program, along with getting e-bills instead of paper ones.

I have also gone on my first real grocery trip, and decided to try to only buy goods that were made in country, preferably  from no more than two states away. In terms of food items I mostly succeeded in the two state rule except in the case of my favorite spreadable item, peanut butter.  For a reason I don't quite understand, peanut butter seems to come from New Jersey. I did opt for an organic variety in a glass jar, with the hopes that organic companies do their best to be sustainable, and because I know the glass jar will be put to good use in my house before it ends up in the recycling bin. I also convinced my roommates to buy 7th generation paper towels, though that most likely only worked because they were on sale.


Which brings me to my new goal, which isn't exactly a personal goal, but is a goal none-the-less, to get my roommates to start being more environmentally friendly. I am a long way from convincing them to stop buying mass produced (and largely flavorless) giant bags of frozen meat and processed treats, but I am working on getting them to turn off lights they don't need, use the recycling bins for all recyclables, and to try and conserve more water. This last bit has been proving the most difficult, given that one of my lovely roommates likes to have the water on full hot and full blast when doing the dishes. I did discover that we have a water saving running option on our dishwasher, and have since been promoting its usage, when the dishwasher is actually full.

Besides the two states rule, I haven't come up with another affordable option to offset my consumption of travel resources as of yet.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.unilever.com/sustainability/environment/agriculture/palmoil/index.aspx

    ReplyDelete